The Paradise Project

Role of M.L. Elion (p)

Basic Information:


Elion Angel Juarez
Aspiration Angel voluntarily agrees to change the tile color design to meet the original requirements Elion voluntarily agrees to meet with the Paradise people and informally inquire about obtaining approval on change of tile colors. Angel voluntarily agrees to change the tile color design to meet the original requirements
R/P Force Angel to change the tile color design to meet the original requirements Force Elion to meet with the Paradise people with Angel and informally inquire about obtaining approval on change of tile colors. Force Angel to change the tile color design to meet the original requirements
BATNA Complete the Paradise project without Angel, which will result in project delays and costly penalties Quit the Paradise project and seek a new job elsewhere Complete the Paradise project without Angel, which will result in project delays and costly penalties


Negotiation Ground Rules:

1.     Everyone must be on time for the negotiation.
2.     All parties must treat each other equally and fairly and with dignity and respect.
3.     All parties must listen carefully to their opponents' statements, and people must talk one at a time.
4.     Try to be pleasant and cheerful throughout negotiations.
5.     If one begins to make demands, shows disrespect, or becomes angry during negotiation, stop the negotiation and return to the issue later.


Negotiation Strategies:

Getting a person to do what I want him/her to do can be very difficult, especially when he/she is already upset/mad at me.  However, I will focus on finding interests, not to criticize, and come to a reasonable agreement with Angel by applying some simple laws.

1.     Apply the law of liking:  People like people who like them

a.     This can be very difficult since Angel is already very upset at me, but it is still possible for us to start liking each other.  If Angel feels that I do like him/her genuinely, he/she will likely to have more good feelings toward me.  If Angels feels good about him/herself, he/she will be more likely to comply with my wishes. 

b.     I have to become an active listener so that I can discover what I like about Angel besides the fact that he/she is a great designer.  Once I find out other things that I like about Angel, I have to make it known to him/her. 

c.     I also want to find out what Angel and I have in common and let him/her know about it, so I can increase the chance of having Angel like and feel good about me. 

d.     I have to ensure that Angel knows I truly appreciate all that he/she has done for our company, our team, and the project.  A genuine praise to Angel can go a long way.

2.     Apply the law of reciprocity: Whatever I give is what I am going to receive.

a.     Since Angel complained about not receiving any help from me and feeling all alone on this job, I probably did not help him/her much throughout the project besides bugging him/her about the status. 

b.     If I want Angel and his/her team to put in 100% effort to complete the tile color change on time, I will let Angel know that I am going to put in 110% effort and do whatever it takes to help him/her complete the project on time.  I will even volunteer to be the first one coming in to work and the last one to leave the office.

c.     Even if I cannot help Angel’s team with the tiles, because I do not possess the necessary skills to help, I can offer to make coffee and buy breakfast and lunch.  That way, the team can focus on making the tile change.

d.     The idea is to model the behavior I want.  I want Angel to voluntarily agree to the change and put in her 110% effort, so I need to volunteer myself to do as much as I can to him/her.  I need to make Angel feel that I do care and appreciate him/her and will go out of my way (but still within my ability/power) to assist him/her in completing the project on time. 

e.     I also need to gain Angel’s trust by trusting him/her first, so I have to stop spying on him/her or ask someone to spy on her again.  However, I will ask Angel to agree to an informal verbal daily progress report, so I will know if more help is needed to complete the project on time.

3.     Apply the law of scarcity:  People want more of what they cannot have.

a.     What is less available is perceived as more valuable.  I can take advantage of this law by highlighting the exclusivity of the Paradise Project opportunity.

b.     The Paradise Project is an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to show the world what a skilled artist and designer Angel is.  People from around the world are coming to Paradise hotels to admire its famous traditionally tiled lobbies and guestrooms, and Angel’s amazing tile designs will be showcased all over the floors, walls, and ceilings of the 10 grand international hotels.  It will be a shame to miss out on this great opportunity to showcase Angel’s masterpieces to the world, and this opportunity can eventually lead to earning a title of a world-class award-winning designer!

c.     Even if Angel decides to leave La Ceiba Company, it will be a shame not able to put the successful completion of this amazing Paradise Project onto his/her designer portfolio / resume.  Therefore, Angel should not give up on the project now; otherwise, all the hard work will be in vain. 

Prepare for Angel’s Caustic Comments
I will not bring up any of Angel’s caustic comments that he/she made to me before he/she left, because I do not want to stir up his/her anger and all the emotions that come with it.  However, if Angel makes any of those caustic comments again, I will be sure to respond friendly and not hostilely.

Angel:  “I’m not going to have my tiles checked by everyone!  I have been working with these materials a long time and I’m the only one who can say whether or not the tiles are good.”

Me:     “Angel, I trust your expertise and will not watch over your shoulder when you and your team work on the tiles.  However, our client does not know your expertise as much as we do, and the Paradise people may not agree with what we believe is best for the project.  Our client will only go by the specifications listed in the contract, and we are bonded by the contract to abide to the specifications; otherwise, we will be penalized for breaking the contract.  The penalty is 30,000 new pesos each day for late delivery.  Therefore, please try to understand our limitations.”

Angel:  “You have made my life miserable from the start!  You have not been honest with me.  I deserve to know what’s going on around here.”

Me:     “Angel, if I have made you feel that way, then I am very truly sorry.  It was never my intention to make you feel that way, and I sincerely apologize for whatever I had done to cause this.  What can I do to keep our line of communication open, so we can improve our communication and relationship?”

Angel:  “Elion, you’ve driven me and my team like common laborers since you came down here.  You’ve never given me any help – I’ve been all alone on this job.  I don’t know what to expect next!”

Me:     “Angel, I would like to apologize to you and your team for not offering enough help in the past; however, I want you to know that you are not alone on this project.  Juarez and I are eager to offer any help you and your team need.  Unfortunately, we are no experts when it comes to tile designs, so we do not know how to help.  Please allow us to help, and we will cooperate with you and do everything we can, within our ability and power, to help you complete the project on time.  Communication is the key; and together, we can ensure that we all know exactly what to expect next.  Please do not give up on the Paradise Project or us now.  We can overcome the obstacles and complete this amazing project together!”


Possible Questions for Juarez (before meeting with Angel)

1.     Has the tile-manufacturing equipment been updated?
2.     How much help have you and your machinists been offering to Angel?
3.     How much help will you and your team be able to provide to Angel or his/her team to complete the tile color change and re-manufacture?

4.     How long will it take to reproduce the tiles once the color design is changed to meet the original requirements?

5.     Will it be possible to complete the Paradise Project on time without Angel?
6.     Do you know what it will take for Angel to voluntarily agree to change the tile color design to meet the original requirements?
7.     How angry / upset Angel was when you asked him/her to meet with us?
8.     What did he/she complain to you about me in the past?
9.     Do you know anything about Angel personally?  Hobbies?  Family?  Likes/dislikes?
10.  What are your aspiration, R/P, and BATNA?  (It won’t hurt to ask)


Possible Questions for Angel

1.     When did you realize that slight change in the tile colors would make the tiles look newer for a longer period of time by hiding dirt, dents, and scratches?

2.     Why did you not tell me as soon as you find out about the benefits of color change, so I could submit the new color specifications request for approval sooner?

3.     Did you know that the contract contains a penalty of 30,000 new pesos each day for late delivery?

4.     What will it take for you to agree to change the tile color design to meet the original requirements?

5.     How long will it take you and your team to redesign the tile colors to meet the original requirements?

6.     How may Juarez and I help to ensure that you and your team can complete the project on time?

7.     What can I / we do to keep our line of communication open, so we can improve our communication, trust, and relationship?

8.     Do you want all the hard work that you have put into the Paradise Project goes to waste?

9.     Don’t you want to lead your team of skillful artists to complete this amazing project together?

10.  Do you want to miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to show the world what a skilled artist and designer you are?

Comments

  1. Builder's Bliss understands that installing new laminate flooring in your house is a significant financial investment that necessitates making key decisions. The whole process of building your ideal home will be made easier by Builder's Bliss, from the design and selection process through delivery, installation, and upkeep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exceptional blog, Really, your article is educational, and we appreciate you sharing this post with us, as it is really beneficial to us. For anyone seeking for builders tiles store Brampton, Builder's Bliss is the company to call now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are the Builders. All of our modern bathroom goods are well-designed, high-quality, and of appropriate size and shape. Manufacturer and supplier of laminate flooring, baseboard flooring, builders tiles, spc flooring, and many other types of flooring. Call +1 (905) 799-2075 or send an email to contactus@buildersbliss.com for more information about their products. For further information, please see this page. Baseboard flooring, Builders tiles, and SPC flooring are all inexpensive options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for this article, it was really fascinating. Continue to publish in the same manner as those fantastic postings; this is really amazing. And If you're looking for SPC flooring contact Builder's Bliss today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm quite delighted to state that your content is extremely intriguing to read. I never seem to be able to stop myself from saying anything about it. You're doing an outstanding job. Continue in this manner. And If you're looking for Cheap Baseboard Floor contact Builder's Bliss today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog